Is it safe to use public Wi-Fi networks without VPN which are present almost everywhere? From our offices to homes to public spaces and even during normal commutation, we can find an array of open Public Wifi networks available. There are millions of unsecured public Wifi networks around the world and they are only multiplying manifold with each passing day. But how dangerous is it really to not use a public wifi VPN?
It is difficult to keep track of which ones are legitimate and which ones are not and thus one should never overlook the safety measures while browsing the internet on using public WIFI. Although public Wifi networks are extremely convenient, one should never get their guard down.
What Are the Dangers of Using a Public Wifi VPN?
An unsafe Wi-Fi network is identified by any ‘open’ network that does not require you to put any password or any login credential to use it. These networks have no encryption, and the people using it are easy targets for hackers. Any data that is put online using this network can be easily accessed and thus the users are at great risk. The hackers can steal your login passwords, bank details and other personal details like your location, your browsing history, your files and photos etc. Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to using public Wifi:
- Hacking/Snooping: Hackers or snoopers can get access to unsecured Wi-Fi networks and can collect personal details or sensitive login information of the people using that WiFi.
- Man-in-the-Middle Attacks: Man-in-the-middle attack is when a malicious actor sneaks in the communication between two people’s conversation. The malicious hinderer can gain access to information being exchanged – all without the first two parties knowing.
- Malware: Unsecured Wi-Fi networks can act as a tool to inject malware into devices connected to the public network.
- Fake Networks: These are fake hotspots set up by criminals in order to trick users into connecting to that open WiFi so that they can steal your data.
Using Public Wifi the Right Way
There are multiple ways by which you can keep your online data safe while using a public Wi-Fi:
- Use a VPN
- Use SSL connections
- Turn off sharing
- Keep Wi-Fi off when not in use
- Think before connecting
Wondering which VPN should you use on public WiFi? We have compiled a list of the best vpn public wifi for you to choose from:
- IPVanish: IPVanish has a really efficient iOS app and an excellent performance in terms of a public wifi VPN. It is consistent in delivering great performance and improved our download speed by around 15% over long distances, with even faster results in the shorter distance. It provides access to more than 1200 servers in more than 60 countries and allows you to connect over ten devices to these servers. IPVanish is a great software for torrenting on public wifi. When we reviewed it, we found no No IP / DNS / WebRTC leaks. It is user-friendly. IPVanish delivers fast, unrestricted Internet access to every part of the world.
- PrivateVPN: PrivateVPN is one of the fastest growing VPN software and has secured a rank in the list of the best vpn for public wifi. Private VPN is fast, safe and surprisingly cheap. It, however, has no VPN extensions and a smaller server network.
Using VPN for Public Wi Fi – Pros and Cons
How to Hide Other Wifi Networks?
In order to hide the different WiFi networks around that you don’t want to see, you can simply go to the ‘Network and sharing’ centre or ‘Wifi’ menu in your device and select a Wifi. You can click on ‘Forget’ to remove that WiFi from appearing in the list.
Get Throttle Free Internet with VPN
We all love being on the internet. We love streaming, scrolling, liking, sharing and posting. Each and every part of our lives, every nook and corner, is connected to the internet. We are constantly connected to the online world and spend the better part of our day on the web. With the emergence of the trend of ‘binge watching’ and updating your feed constantly, there is a new modern day problem called ‘throttling’.
What is Throttling Internet?
Internet throttling or Bandwidth throttling is basically an intentional slowing of the user’s internet service done by the user’s Internet service provider (ISP). Network throttling is usually done to regulate network traffic and minimize bandwidth congestion over a network.
Internet throttling has been around since a long time now and was earlier done only when it was absolutely unavoidable. In earlier times, this did not affect the user so much but now that we are streaming in 4k and constantly downloading stuff from the internet, our bandwidth consumption has increased.
The Internet Service Providers are failing at keeping up with the speed and bandwidth requirements and are using network throttling. ISP throttling is unfair and unjust to the customers as they pay the full amount to get internet access and still their internet speed is cut down.
Is my internet being throttled? How to tell if your internet is being throttled by your ISP?
The common users usually can’t prove that speed throttling is being used against them by their Internet Service Provider and there is very little they can do about it. However, something called an ISP throttling test exists. It is the easiest way to determine if your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is throttling your internet speed.
An ISP throttling test is done by installing a Virtual Private Network (VPN) and measuring the speed of your internet again. If your internet has a much faster speed with a VPN being installed in your device and slower without it, your ISP is throttling your internet service.
How to Do an Internet Throttling Test?
Are you thinking “is my ISP throttling?” Do not worry as we have listed a step by step guide for you to perform an internet throttling test for your internet services:
- Visit Google’s measurement lab at www.measurementlab.net
- Click on “test your internet connection’
- Choose a network tool and perform network traffic diagnosis
- Follow the instructions on the screen to finish the test
Note: You can also visit www.eff.org to test your internet speed in the similar way
How to Stop Internet Throttling and How to Speed Up Throttled Data?
Wondering how to stop ISP throttling? There are certain steps that you can take to stop data throttling on you device:
1. Use a VPN that can disable internet throttling automatically: There are vpns available on the internet which can nullify speed throttling :
- ExpressVPN: ExpressVPN’s plugin is one of the fastest vpns to bypass throttling android in the market. It does not keep a log of your browser history and is fast and reliable. It works on multiple platforms and is user friendly for multiple operating systems.
- NordVPN: NordVPN is an ultra-fast proxy vpn to prevent the throttle internet speed that encrypts your browser data and hides your IP address thereby keeping you completely anonymous online. It is User-friendly for PC, Mac, iOS & Android (with ad-blocker) and Works with Netflix, BBC iplayer. It offers P2P & torrenting on multiple servers.
2. Switch to a different ISP: If you do not want to use a VPN you can switch to a different Internet Service Provider that can help you speed up you internet speed and you do not have to worry about how to stop data throttling.
3. Avoid using free vpns or free proxy: It is even easier for your ISP to monitor your online activities and throttle your data speed if you’re using a proxy. Thus we recommend to not use one.
4. Refresh your router and use a wired connection
5. Find yourself the fastest server and then turn on the automatic reconnect feature on the app.
Hope, The above article will help you to understand How safe is it to use a vpn on public wifi. Let us know in the comment if you have any query, suggestion for Free VPN.